‘Go the Extra Mile’ to raise funds for educational programmes for children living in areas of conflict:
20 miles on the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Dover, 7 October, 2017 for Save the Children
The UK has over 140,000 miles of footpaths, offering incredible opportunities to explore our wonderful countryside. In Canterbury, at the gates of the Cathedral, begins the historic Via Francigena (the French Way), originally a Roman route which connected the British Isles to Rome. The UK section follows the better known North Downs Way, from Canterbury through the picturesque villages of Patrixbourne and Womenswold, through Shepherdswell and finishing at the port of Dover. Just an hour and a half by ferry, the route continues into Calais and beyond through Northern France, the Champagne region, Switzerland and then Italy (to read more about the Via Francigena click on ‘blog’ where you can read about Julia Peters’ journey on the route over 79 days).
This event aims to give participants a unique opportunity to:
- Spend a day discovering the historic route – walking in the footsteps of ancient Romans and medieval pilgrims while appreciating the natural and monumental heritage along the way.
- Raise money for vulnerable children – The charity Save the Children does tremendous work to provide children in need all over the world with such necessities as food and clothing. Many of these children also go without even a basic education. Funds raised by the Via Francigena charity walk will contribute to the programmes run by Save the Children to provide education for some of the 28 million children living in areas of conflict who are currently out of school.
How to Participate:
Sign up in the contact form below to participate in the walk, 20 miles, from Canterbury to Dover. Registration has a suggested donation of £20 (£1 per mile).
- You are not required to walk the full route. There is the possibility to take a train from Shepherdswell (12 miles from Canterbury) in the event that you decide not to walk the full 20 miles.
- Consider additional fundraising by asking family, friends and colleagues to support your efforts by sponsoring you.
- Make it a family day out, or get a group of friends together for a team challenge.
B. Donation Only
If you would like to support the cause through a donation, your contribution will be very much appreciated. Thank you for helping us reach the ambitious goal of £3,000.
- Donate here DONATE
- Share this website on Facebook and encourage friends to support the cause
To register for the walk on the 7th of October, please fill-in the following form:
For questions regarding this event please feel free to contact Julia Peters at: email@example.com
100% of donations go directly to Save the Children
*the website Mydonate deducts 15p per donation for processing debit card payments and 1.5% for credit card payments.